Welcome to our Untabs Virus removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
In case that you want to remove the strange new search engine or homepage, which has mysteriously been installed on your browser, and to stop the sudden page redirects, which expose you to dozens of nagging ads, pop-ups, and banners, then the Untabs Virus removal guide is what you need! The instructions it contains will help you to bring your Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, or any other favorite browser, back to normal. But before you scroll down to the steps, let us tell you the specifics of a certain type of software, called Browser hijackers, and the way they function. It is very likely that, since you landed on this page, you have been disturbed by one program of this type, called Untabs Virus . This browser hijacker is the most probable source of the recent changes that have taken place on your browser and in the next lines, you will learn how to safely uninstall it and bring back your normal browsing preferences.
Browser hijackers – a source of unstoppable pop-ups and page redirects!
You have probably already faced the irritating ad-generating activity, initiated by Untabs Virus , but you may not know much about this type of programs and their typical behavior. Generally, they all fall into one software category named Browser hijackers, which are basically programs, specialized in redirecting the users to certain sponsored sites or advertisements and loading their screen with a huge amount of paid promotional messages, links, and offers. Mostly, a change in the default homepage or the search engine ensures to redirect the users’ searches to the advertised sites and prompt them to click on their pop-ups. The main idea behind this activity is the generation of profits from Pay-Per-Click for the developers of the hijacking program. The users, who have to endure the ad-generation and deal with the aggressive redirects, however, may really face a serious issue to use their browser and surf the web normally. This is the main reason for them to remove the browser hijacker. Moreover, such software rarely is able to provide them with some actual benefit or a useful functionality that can make them keep it.
How can Untabs Virus become part of your system?
Many businesses and even software developers use the Pay-Per-Click revenue generating method to make some profits from clicks on sponsored ads and to support their ventures. This is the reason why they often bundle ad-generating programs like browser hijackers or adware inside the installers of some free attractive applications. If the users don’t pay attention while installing them ( by reading the EULA or customizing the setup via advanced/custom settings), they may end up with a piece like Untabs Virus . Other common sources of browser hijackers are different spam messages, free download links, spam emails, torrents, shareware or freeware sites, plugins, browser apps, or direct downloads from the web.
Potentially unwanted activities and risks related to Untabs Virus :
Before we speak about the potential unpleasant activities of the browser hijackers and their effects on your PC, we should first clearly differentiate them from any type of dangerous malware such as Trojans, Ransomware, Spyware and other harmful and nasty viruses. A lot of users may accuse Untabs Virus in some potentially unwanted activities such as “traffic data” collection, intrusive ads generation, browser modifications, redirection to different sketchy sites, and exposure to unwanted advertising content. However, these activities, as disturbing and nagging as they can be, are still nowhere near the harmful abilities of a real virus. The browser hijackers do NOT contain malicious scripts, which can cause harm to your system and, unlike other nasty infections like Ransomware or Trojans, for example, they will not affect anything else than your browser.
The risks, that pieces like Untabs Virus may be related to, do not come directly from the program, but more from the randomly generated ads that it may display. Sometimes, hackers with malicious intentions may secretly load some harmful ads, misleading links or virus-inflicted web pages along with the stream of ads that the hijacker displays. This way, the users may unknowingly get redirected to some compromised content and get infected with a nasty virus. Although such scenario is relatively rare, in theory, this risk exists, that’s why it is much safer to permanently remove all the pop-ups by uninstalling the program that loads them. Fortunately, this can easily be done with the help of some detailed instructions, like the ones in the removal guide below. You only need to follow them strictly in order to remove Untabs Virus without any risk for your system.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Installation of a strange new search engine or homepage inside your browser, sudden page redirects, ads, pop-ups and banners all over your screen.|
|Distribution Method||Mostly distributed in a bundle with some other free program setup, free download link, automatic installer, torrent, or some spam message.|
Untabs Virus Removal
I – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
II – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
If you are unable to spot Untabs Virus , search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Untabs Virus on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Untabs Virus might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Untabs Virus , right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.