Remove Nova.Rambler.ru “Virus” (Chrome/Firefox)
In this article we are going to try and help you remove Nova.Rambler.ru “Virus”. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
The symptoms of the appearance of Nova.Rambler.ru “Virus”, the program we are describing here, on your PC are normally the following:
- All your browsers could become victims of this program – Firefox, Explorer, Opera and/or Chrome.
- After being infected, your browsers may start producing great number of online ads like colorful boxes, pop-ups and banners. And that might happen every single time you are trying to surf the Internet.
- Another possible consequence of such an infection is the redirecting that your browsers might begin performing. You may get sent to places on the web you have never wanted to load or visit.
- Another typical effect of this program is that it could change your browser’s appearance. You can expect that your default search engine and/or homepage could get substituted by new ones.
In fact, it is not only Nova.Rambler.ru “Virus” that might do that to your PC, it is all the known browser hijackers. This is the software family this program belongs to. In the following text you will find out what the programs from this group represent and how to deal with them effectively and quickly. Apart from the effects described above, all hijackers are advertising-oriented. This means that all the activities they may perform have directly to do with advertising. And the main goal of any programmer is to make money. The producers of goods and service providers, on the other hand, are ready to invest substantial amounts of money into getting what they offer successfully promoted. That is why browser hijackers are developed and spread – to make the process of advertising anything possible in the contemporary online atmosphere.
Is there anything shady and questionable about Nova.Rambler.ru or any other hijacker?
We want to make clear that there is NOTHING similar between any browser hijacker and any virus program. Among the great differences between Nova.Rambler.ru and a Ransomware virus, for example, is the ability of Ransomware to encrypt data and make it inaccessible to you. On the contrary, Nova.Rambler.ru could only access the database of your browsers, collect the information about your typical and/or recent searches, and send you only streams of pop-ups that are related to these searches. No hijacker could block any data or corrupt it in any way. Consequently, we can say that hijackers are not malicious, however, they could be quite shady-looking, because of the unclear ways they can get to your PC (which will be discussed thoroughly below) and the way they might affect your browsers (which we have explained above). All of that has earned browser hijackers the reputation of potentially unwanted software.
How browser hijackers could infect your PC:
Maybe contrary to your expectations, browser hijackers can never self-install on your computer. They always need your direct or indirect approval to do that. That has motivated their developers to come up with especially creative ways of spreading such ad-generating software around. The most successful means they have used so far is the infamous process BUNDLING. This method represents gathering different sorts of software in combos, which are later called bundles. Normally, developers put Adware, hijackers or other advertising software inside them as well. What’s more, you can access all bundles for free anywhere on the Internet. You may indeed be interested in using something from such a software mixture. Normally, people tend to disregard safety when they get too excited. As a result, you might decide to install the bundle in the quickest possible way. And this is how you are very likely to become a victim of Nova.Rambler.ru.
What happens if we install a bundle carelessly?
Most probably, contamination will follow as a result of using the quickest, the easiest or the automatic installation options. By choosing that option you will install the entire bundle along with the promoting software inside it. Please, for your own safety and to save your system from catching irritating programs, avoid the steps marked as Default, Easy and Automatic, when the wizard gets generated. In case you make the right decision and install any bundle with extreme care and thought, by using the Customized/ Advanced installation features, you will get the opportunity to get only the programs you need installed, not all of them which are included in the bundle. It is recommended that you do exactly that.
We want to help you with this task of removing this annoying hijacker and we suggest that you follow the instructions in the Removal Guide just below the details chart. Good luck!
Remove Nova.Rambler.ru “Virus”
I – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
- If you are unable to spot Nova.Rambler.ru, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
II – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Nova.Rambler.ru on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Nova.Rambler.ru might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Nova.Rambler.ru, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.