Welcome to our Kitty.exe “Virus” removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
The topic we will be discussing below is all that may come as a result of a contamination with Kitty.exe “Virus”. This program belongs to the family of ad-displaying products known generally as Adware. All of these programs have been specially set to show as many banners, pop-ups, tabs and other online ads as it is physically possible. Such ad-displaying software affects all browsers equally. More precisely, an infection might occur in your Chrome, and Firefox, and Opera browser, as well as in Explorer. Catching this ad-generating program is referred to as an infection. Kitty.exe “Virus” does NOT have any malicious features, though. No Adware has ever had any, as a matter of fact. Most infections with viruses could result in many technical issues and serious problems like identity theft, using banking credentials, hacking social media accounts or destroying the entire OS of a machine. Nothing like that can ever happen because of Kitty.exe “Virus”.
Despite that, something that may appear to be suspicious is Adware’s ability to keep track of your interests by thoroughly reviewing your browsing history. Consequently, all the pop-ups and banners that appear on your screen may contain only the products and services you have recently been interested in. Still, this feature is not really harmful or illegal. After all, no one has ever caught any form of Adware without letting it infiltrate their system, no matter whether that has happened knowingly or unknowingly.
Where does Adware originate from and how could it infect your computer?
This kind of software comes from the mutual desire of software developers and goods producers to earn big profits. The former do that by programming Adware to display the biggest number of advertisements it could. The second ones make money by selling their effectively promoted products to the users and pay for every single ad to the programmers in order to achieve more sales. The potential sources of Kitty.exe “Virus” can vary greatly. Such a source of ad-generating programs could be any torrent, any spam letter, any contagious web page. The biggest number of contaminations, though, happens thanks to program bundles. In order to spread Adware around, programmers assemble software bundles full of various apps, new programs and games. All these programs are typically offered for free to the users and many of them would carelessly download the bundles, being interested in something from their content.
Actually, no infection has ever resulted from simply downloading a software bundle. However, most of them have come from improperly installing it. What you are supposed to do in order to stay safe from ad-generating software, so as to still be able to use something from a given bundle, is to select the right installation option and to opt out of the Adware inside the bundle. Such a feature of any wizard is the one providing a Customized or Advanced installation process. Use it always when you can. All the other potential installation options are highly undesirable. Avoid all the promises of an easy or quick installation.
How to ensure an infection will not happen:
It is very fortunate that Adware-based programs might be avoided and it is not that complicated to do so. Some tips for staying away from ad-producing programs are the following:
- Install all new programs the smart way.We have explained how do to that in the paragraph above.
- Keep your OS and all the other programs on your computer always updated. In this way the software will be less vulnerable.
- Allow your pop-up blockers to function – they will at least stop the webpage-hosted ads.
- Allow your Firewall to work – keep it turned on. It may warn you about potentially dangerous web addresses.
- Don’t open anything that comes as spam or comes from an unknown source – neither the emails, nor their attachments. They might be contagious.
- Avoid any streaming websites as well as illegal pages as they might be funded only by distributing Adware.
- Make sure you don’t click on any suspicious online advertisement. It may lead to the appearance of many more.
How to “heal” an ongoing infection:
Hopefully, the successful solution to your problem will be aided by the Removal Guide below. Try to solve your problem by implementing the uninstallation instructions there.
|Danger Level||Medium (nowhere near threats like Ransomware, but still a security risk)|
|Symptoms||Browser changes including great number of distributed ads, substitution of default search engines and homepages and some possible redirecting.|
|Distribution Method||Inside bundles, torrents, shareware, spam, infected websites.|
Kitty.exe “Virus” Removal
I – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
II – Uninstallation
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
If you are unable to spot Kitty.exe “Virus”, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Kitty.exe “Virus” on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Kitty.exe “Virus” might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Kitty.exe “Virus”, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.