Welcome to our Hotleaf “Virus” removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
If you think the information below is useful and interesting and you have been looking for such an article, it is likely that your PC has caught an Adware version called Hotleaf “Virus”. This program may be capable of producing an overwhelming number of varying in shapes and forms advertisements, such as popups and banners, which could greatly bother you while you are surfing the web. What’s even more irritating is the fact that these programs could affect even the most widely-used browser apps like Chrome or Firefox. That’s why we have prepared the article and the Removal Guide below – to help you painlessly and quickly get rid of this program and to explain to you how to avoid such software in the future.
Typical features of Hotleaf “Virus” and Adware as a whole:
Firstly, we will give you a short description of what Adware represents. You have probably heard of Adware before. Generally, this term stands for the ad-broadcasting software products which are set to show ads in various forms on your PC screen. Also, there is the possibility of getting redirected to some unknown (possibly even Ransomware or Trojan-containing) web pages by Hotleaf “Virus” or any other Adware version. Actually, this feature is one of the probable reasons why such software is sometimes considered suspicious. Moreover, some Adware-based products may collect data about your surfing requests without your permission. Basically, they might be programmed to do that because in this way they could later match the ad stream to your recent interests and desires. Nonetheless, Adware DOESN’T steal any banking or account credentials, nor can it rob you or lock up any of your data. Definitely, we can claim that Hotleaf “Virus” as well as the whole Adware group are not malicious in any way.
How do we catch Hotleaf “Virus” in the first place?
These are many possibilities but Adware gets distributed mainly in the below mentioned ways:
- Any Adware-like program could get into your PC together with any freeware or shareware. Indeed, this is legal and very common. Advertising practices generate incredible profits, and such ad-spreading applications can earn solid revenue and finance their developers. That’s why such programmers often incorporate Adware into their original bundles containing the software they have created. In this way they achieve two things – spreading ad-related apps and earn from the produced pop-ups and popularizing their software by offering it for free.
- One more very common way of catching an Adware-type program is by going to an already contaminated web page. In this way the Adware may get installed stealthily.
Characteristic features and probable effects Hotleaf “Virus” may have:
Hotleaf “Virus” has been identified as Adware. Its most common distribution method as you already know is being incorporated into a free software bundle. As you might expect from Adware, after getting inside your system, such a program could launch the generation of great many ads and annoy your browsing experience to some extent – often unbearably. The program is not a virus, but is still bothering and unwanted.
How to safely remove Hotleaf “Virus”:
Luckily, if you have caught Hotleaf “Virus”, removing it is a possibility. We have created a specialized set of tips to guide you through the process of uninstalling Adware. We believe that you will find it exactly what you need to get rid of this irritating program.
How to efficiently avoid Adware later:
To start with, we want to discuss some prevention tips you may be interested in. As we have already told you, most Adware products normally come from program bundles. Even in case you download such a bundle, you will still be able to avoid installing the Adware that is possibly inside it. The main aspect you should be careful with is the installer option you decide to select when you install any piece of software. Ensure that you check out all the menus that are generated, carefully read the End-User Agreement and select the “Manual”, the “Advanced” or the “Custom” installation features. By doing so you will have the chance to select what to put into your system and what to skip installing. Performing a wise installation process will eliminate even the smallest risk of any infections. Remember this tip and you are very likely to be prevented even from catching serious threats like Trojans and Ransomware.
Hotleaf “Virus” Removal
I – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
II – Uninstallation
Click here to download
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
If you are unable to spot Hotleaf “Virus”, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Hotleaf “Virus” on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Hotleaf “Virus” might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Hotleaf “Virus”, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.