Welcome to our Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” File removal guide. The following instructions will aid you in removing the unwanted software from your PC.
Adware is arguably the most annoying type of software to ever be invented and one of its latest variants, Chrome_Font.exe “Virus”, is no exception. You’ll probably agree with us on this, especially if you’ve already experienced all the rage-inducing popups, banners and other various forms of online ads that are constantly tossed at you each time you try to use your Chrome or Firefox browser. Thankfully, you don’t need to trash your computer and abandon ship just because the likes of Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” have made themselves at home there. There’s an effective way of removing the invasive software and our removal guide at the bottom of this page will show you exactly how it’s done. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and read through the next few paragraphs, as they contain important information regarding the program you’re dealing with.
What is adware and what does this mean for my computer?
Adware is a term that derives from the words ‘advertising software’ and is used to describe pieces of programming that share a certain set of characteristics, the main of which being the constant production and display of online advertising materials. As an effective marketing tool, adware is used to promote certain products and services, for which the developers are paid, based on the amount of clicks their ads land. This is precisely how the Pay Per Click scheme works – a popular online business model, so in case you’re having doubts as to adware’s legality – it’s perfectly legal. However, its other typical traits do make it a rather undesirable pieces of software and his therefore been widely categorized as potentially unwanted. But let’s explain why exactly that is.
Programs like Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” are most times designed to be able to research one’s browsing patters, including their browsing history, search queries, etc. The practice is justified in the sense that the data is utilized to create more user-specific advertising content, which is likely to attract more clicks from the separate user. But, as you might feel, not many users would be happy to find out some random program that came from who knows where can have access to that kind of information. And not only access it, but record and transmit it as well. In fact, developers will often sell the collected details to third parties for more money, as other marketing companies and vendors would be greatly interested in it. The other significant aspect to software of the Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” type is its stealthy installation mechanisms, which often go undetected by users, which in turn leads them to believe that they’ve been infected with a computer virus. To everyone’s relief, Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” is not a virus and it cannot install itself on your machine without your knowing or unknowing consent.
Adware is mainly distributed as a constituent of a program bundle. The thing about program bundles, however, is that unless you customize the installation settings of the main install manually, you might end up installing all contents of the given bundle. That is also probably how you ended up with Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” on your system. To avoid getting in these situations, simply go with the advanced or custom settings of the setup wizard. This will show what added programs there are in the bundle and you can deselect any of them, leaving them out of the installation process. This way you won’t have to deal with annoying ads ever again. This is also a very important new technique that you ought to make a habit of, as it could potentially help shield you from malware like ransomware, for example, that could have also been bundled with other software.
In addition to the above, we also think it worthy of mentioning that minding your browsing habits should also become routine to you. By that we mean being very careful with the websites you visit, making sure you can trust them and they cannot infect you with anything unwanted or harmful. The same goes for downloading content – make sure you’re using safe, reliable sources. Also, pay special attention to incoming emails and spam emails in particular. If you have reason to believe that something might be off about a certain message, you might be better off deleting it without even opening it. This is especially true for attached files, as those are very common sources of malware.
Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” Removal
I – Uninstallation
Click here to download
- Use the Winkey+R keyboard combination, write Control Panel in the search field and hit enter.
- Go to Uninstall a program under Programs.
- Seek the unwanted software, select it and then click on Uninstall
- If you are unable to spot Chrome_Font.exe “Virus”, search for any unrecognized programs that you do not remember installing on your PC – the unwanted software might disguise itself by going under a different name.
II – Safe mode and revealing hidden files
III – Cleaning all your browsers
- Go to your browser’s icon, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab and in the Target make sure to delete anything written after “.exe”.
- Now, open your browser and follow the instructions below depending on whether you are using Chrome, Mozilla or IE.
- Chrome users:
- Go to your browser’s main menu located in the top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- Scroll down, click on Show Advanced Settings and then select Clear browsing data. Just to be sure, tick everything and clear the data.
- Now, in the left pane, go to Extensions and look through all extensions that are integrated within your browser. If you notice any suspicious add-on, disable it and then remove it.
- Firefox users:
- Similarly to Chrome, go to the main menu and select Add-ons and then Extensions.
- Remove any suspicious browser extensions that you may have even if they do not have the name Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” on them.
- IE users:
- Go to Tools and select Manage add-ons.
- Click on all add-on types from the left pane and check if there is anything suspicious in the right panel. In case you find anything shade, make sure to remove it.
IV – Removing Shady processes
- Go to your start menu, type Task Manager in the search field and from the results open View running processes with Task Manager.
- Thoroughly look through all processes. The name Chrome_Font.exe “Virus” might not be there, but if you notice any shady looking process that consumes high amounts of memory it might be ran by the unwanted program.
- If you spot the process ran by Chrome_Font.exe “Virus”, right-click on it, open its file location and delete everything in there. Then go back to the Task Manager and end the process.
V – DNS check
- In the start menu search box write View Network Connections and open the first result.
- Right-click on the network connection you are using and go to Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- If Obtain DNS server addresses automatically is not checked, check it.
- Go to Advanced and select the DNS If there is anything in the DNS server addresses field, remove it and click OK.
- Click OK on the rest of the opened windows.