Web-start.org “Virus” Removal (Chrome/Firefox)
In this article we are going to try and help you remove Web-start.org “Virus”. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
If you are currently being bothered by a program called Web-start.org, this article can aid you in handling the issue. Here you will be presented with all the information and tips that you might need in order to successfully deal with the unwanted software and prevent any similar programs from getting installed onto your PC in the future. First thing we need to address is what Web-start.org actually is. Well, this piece of software is a Browser Hijacker. These are programs that integrate themselves within your Chrome, Firefox or IE browser, changing its homepage, search engine and sometimes redirecting it to pages that you did not open yourself. All in all, Browser Hijackers can be quite irritating and annoying during the time they are active on your machine. This is why many people who have encountered such programs immediately start seeking for ways to remove them. If you are one of those users, you have come to the right place. A detailed manual below the article will guide you through each step you need to undertake in order to ensure that no trace of Web-start.org has remained on your machine’s system. However, we advise you to first carefully read the rest of the paragraphs, because they contain valuable information concerning Browser Hijacker programs that you should be acquainted with, in order to ensure your PC’s safety.
Are Browser Hijackers any good?
Frequently, programs such as Web-start.org are being marketed as helpful and beneficial to the user. Oftentimes Browser Hijacker developers claim that their product would improve one’s online experience, while also making it safer and more secure. However, in reality most Hijackers do exactly the opposite – they tend to heavily obstruct and hinder one’s regular browsing activity. This is because in the majority of cases software like Web-start.org is created for the sole purpose of benefiting its developer without actually having any actual use for the customer. Browser Hijackers are most commonly utilized in the online marketing industry, employing a variety of strategies and schemes to generate income for their creators. Even if a program of that type contains some kind of actual helpful feature or function for the user, it is probably not worth the annoyance and frustration that you’d have to put up with in order to get that function.
Is Web-start.org a “Virus”?
No, it is not. Web-start.org is not a virus. Now that we have figured out that Browser Hijackers are probably not something you’d want to keep on your PC, we need inform you about whether they can be potentially threatening to your system. Obviously, Web-start.org is an unwanted piece of software. However, this does not mean it is some sort of a noxious Ransomware or any other kind of computer virus. Undoubtedly, Hijackers are annoying and frustrating but they normally do not have any malicious virus traits that can damage your PC and threaten your virtual security. Having said that, users still need to understand why it is important to remove a Browser Hijacker from their system as soon as they notice the program’s presence. Apart from what we have already mentioned as potential negative effects of Web-start.org, there are several other features that such programs might have that you’d be better off without.
- Some of those irritating applications have the nagging tendency to display false messages on your screen that warn you about a number of errors that your system supposedly has. The truth is that this is usually just another clever ruse used to trick users into buying some kind of PC optimization tool, which often turns out to be just as useless as the Hijacker.
- One other infamous feature of many Browser Hijackers is their capability to look through your browsing history and search queries. This is another scheme used in online marketing. Sometimes the acquired data is used by the Hijacker to feed your browser with different sorts of intrusive ads, based on your personal preferences and interests. Other times the info is directly sold to third-parties for additional profit.
- In addition to everything we’ve listed so far, Web-start.org can significantly decrease the productivity of your PC due to high CPU and RAM consumption. While this is not intended by the Hijacker developer, it is still a potential negative effect of the intrusive program and yet another reason why you should have it removed without giving it a second thought.
How to avoid Hijackers in the future
The following tips will help our readers prevent any further installations of Browser Hijackers on their computers.
- Avoid opening suspicious e-mails and shady-looking hyperlinks, regardless of who the sender is.
- Do not visit or download content from sites that you are unsure of whether you can trust or not. Stick to the reputable and trustworthy ones.
- Always use the Advanced setup settings when installing new software. Oftentimes program installers are actually file-bundles that have additional applications put within them. This is where Browser Hijackers are often hidden. Using the Advanced settings will allow you to see if and what add-ons there are and leave out anything that you might not want getting installed on your PC. On the other hand, going for the Quick installation setting often ensures that you get all added content along the main install, which might be something you do not want to happen.
Web-start.org “Virus” Removal
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Web-start.org or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Web-start.org From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Web-start.org and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Web-start.org From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Web-start.org From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.