In this article we are going to try and help you remove the Startpageing123 Malware. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
The paragraphs below focus on a piece of software named Startpageing123 Malware. We have also shared some important details about the possible ways of removing the infection, which it causes. In general, this program is a representative of the so-called browser hijackers software category. What these programs normally do is they access your browsers (such as Opera/ Chrome/ Firefox/ Explorer), and change their settings, in this way making them:
- show a great number of usually irritating ads, which can be in the form of boxes, pop-ups, banners, hyperlinks;
- display completely new and usually unfamiliar homepages and search engines;
- redirect you to various web pages, which you had never intended to open, while you are trying to browse the web.
Typically, such programs are more or less regarded as harmless. What to expect from them and how to deal with them are two matters that are thoroughly discussed in the article you are about to read.
What are browser hijackers capable of achieving?
As we have already told you in the opening paragraph, hijackers are ONLY able to infect and alter the settings of all your browser apps. No matter exactly which of the popular browsers you are using, you can expect some redirection, ad generation and homepage/search engine modifications. This software category is advertising-oriented only.
How could a program like Startpageing123 Malware enter your system?
The usual hijacker sources are described in the paragraph below, though; these are only the common ones, not all of them:
- Torrents/shareware: Hijackers might be lurking inside torrents and shareware, making all of them, especially the illegal ones pretty suspicious.
- Contagious websites: This is one more popular source. Any browser hijacker could infect your PC if you have at some point unintentionally clicked on a pop-up, broadcast by a contaminated web page.
- Software bundling: This is a common technique of distributing numerous programs/ games/ apps via bundles. Normally, these software sets are available for free to the public and anyone could download and try them. Moreover, this is indeed the most famous source of promoting software. What you should be aware of when it comes to this method of spreading Startpageing123 Malware is that:
– the mere act of downloading a given bundle will never infect your system with any hijackers;
– still, getting the bundle installed in a brief and often – mindless, way usually means catching such promotion-oriented programs (mainly Adware and hijacker-based ones). Nevertheless, there is a way to install a given piece of software in the right way and we are going to explain that below.
Installing software in the right way?
It is not very hard to cultivate some wise habits when it comes to installing software. It is just necessary that you stay away from all the installer features, which could provide an automatic and brief installation process. Such installation methods will prevent you from having the opportunity to choose the particular programs from a given bundle, or the features of a program that you need exactly. The features you should avoid when installing something are: the Default/ the Recommended/ the Automatic/ the Easy/ the Brief one. The one you are supposed to use instead is the Custom(ized) (often marked as Advanced) installation option, which strives to give you as much manual control over the installation process as possible.
Why does Startpageing123 Malware exist in the first place?
Maybe you have been thinking about the reason why such software gets developed in the first place. The real reason is not surprising at all as hijackers often get exploited for promotion purposes. Actually, this means all their features work in the best interest of the marketing industry, and the potential redirecting and ad broadcasting that they initiate simply result from the need of certain producers to have their goods and services advertised; and that of the web developers to make some serious amounts of extra money.
If you are wondering what makes us say hijackers are harmless, here is your answer:
Compared to really malicious programs, Startpageing123 Malware is just one little annoying piece of software. For instance, in case your PC has been infected with Ransomware, all the files you care for most will get encrypted and perhaps even destroyed. If the contamination you are facing is hijacker-caused, there is nothing as risky to fear, aside from the irritating redirections and ads.
How to get rid of this exact hijacker – Startpageing123 Malware
Follow the steps we have included in the Removal Guide below.
Startpageing123 Malware Removal
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Startpageing123 Malware or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Startpageing123 Malware From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Startpageing123 Malware and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Startpageing123 Malware From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Startpageing123 Malware From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.