In this article we are going to try and help you remove the .Shit File Virus Ransomware. Our instructions cover all Windows versions.
.Shit File Virus is the newest iteration of the well known Locky ransomware
The viruses belonging to the Ransomware family are especially harmful and bothering, because they cause real encryption of files. After that, they are programmed to demand ransom for recovering the encoded data. To top it all off, they are extremely difficult to be dealt with and their consequences are especially hard to be reversed. The program described in the paragraphs below falls into that category exactly. Its name is .Shit File Virus and its characteristics have been discussed in detail.
The viruses identified as Ransomware first emerged in Russia approximately in the last two decades of the 20th century. In the beginning there used to be two distinct types of Ransomware-based viruses:
- File-encrypting– the category .Shit falls into. These programs are known to infect machines and then scan all their disks for the most regularly used data. All these files get encrypted later with a special key formed by two components – a private and a public one. The Public one is available to the affected user as soon as the virus has completed its terrible encrypting mission. The second part – the Private key – is offered to the user via a notification that appears at the end of the encoding process in exchange for a ransom. All the payment details are also included into that notification.
- Screen-blocking – the viruses belonging to that group are known to sneak into computers in the same way as the ones from the other subtype. The difference between these two subtypes is that the screen-locking type could only block the user’s monitor with a big-size ransom-requiring message. In fact, no files have been encoded, just the monitor is blocked. However, ransom is again demanded from the affected users. Again, all the information regarding payments is available in the ransom notification.
After that, some more types of Ransomware have appeared, with slightly different target groups and intentions:
- Ransomware targeting mobile devices – Ransomware-based viruses could also infect smartphones and tablets. In such a case, the way the virus functions resembles the one the second subtype described above uses – the screen-locking one. Only the display of the infected device gets locked up and money is demanded for making it accessible to the victim user again. No data gets encrypted and is in real danger.
- Some viruses based on Ransomware get exploited to make hackers pay for violating the law – some programs based on Ransomware get used by government security agencies to make cyber criminals pay fines for breaking some law, for example, copyright regulations.
How does such a virus get distributed?
.Shit, as well as most of the other Ransomware versions, has many different means of distribution. They could be hiding inside emails, as well as email attachments. In this case they are usually accompanied by a Trojan horse virus, which ensures their arrival to your system, as it uses a vulnerability to let them in. Another very common source of such malware is the so-called malvertising. Some web pages contain malicious advertisements and once you click on such, you get contaminated automatically. Other potential means of distribution could be drive-by downloads from contaminated web pages; also some contagious torrents and shareware.
Can .Shit Virus be safely removed? Can the encrypted .Shit files be saved?
When it comes to infections caused by Ransomware-type viruses, it is essential that you remember that no action could really guarantee you the recovery of the locked-up data. Even if you manage to get rid of this threat, your encrypted files might get lost for good. Even if you DO pay the hackers, they might decide to disappear with your money and leave your files inaccessible forever. As the chance for success in such a case is really small, we recommend that you wait before completing the ransom payment. You lose nothing if you try to save your data in a different way from just complying with the demands of some harassing cyber criminals. What you can do if you make a decision to try to get the issue solved on your own is to contact someone who has some experience dealing with such problems. An expert could have valuable knowledge and even some secret ways of fighting viruses like .Shit. Again, don’t expect to restore your files easily even if you hire a professional. Another possibility is to try to use a removal guide. That’s why we have assembled one for you. Scroll down and find our Removal Guide. It will guide you to removing the virus and it might even help you restore your data. Always remember that in the fight against Ransomware, your strongest weapon will always be prevention. The most efficient prevention method is just learning to regularly back up your files, so that you always have copies and no one could ever harass you by using them.
.Shit File Virus Removal
Enter Windows Safe mode.
- Win 7 Users: Restart your PC –> keep on clicking F8 –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Win 8 Users: Start Button –> Control Panel –> System and Security –> Administrative Tools –> System Configuration –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Boot –>
- Win 10 users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> Startup Settings –> Restart –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
Open Task Manager and locate any processes associated with .Shit.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys simultaneously –> Processes Tab –> Select a suspicious process (use Google or ask us in the comments if you are not sure about a process) –> Right Click and Open File Location –> End the suspicious process in Task Manager –> Delete the Folders containing the suspicious files.
Open the Registry Editor and search for .Shit.
- Win 7 Users: Click Start and type regedit –> Enter –> Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Cryp1 Virus in the search field.
- Win 8/10 users: Start Button –> Choose Run –> type regedit –> Enter Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type .Shit in the search field.
Try to recover your files. First you will need System Restore.
- Win 7 Users: Start button –> Type Windows System Restore –> Enter –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and revert to it.
- Win 8 Users: Hold down the Windows key + Q –> Type Recovery –> Settings –> Choose the Recovery icon –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point.
- Win 10 Users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and apply it.
Secondly use program that can access your Shadow Copies.
- Use Google to find the official website of such a program and download it.
- Use the program to select the file types and the hard drive locations you want the program to scan for.
- Start the scan and keep in mind that it might take a while.
- Once the scan has been completed just select the files you want to be recovered.
If you have questions or suggestions feel free to use our comments section!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.