In this article we are going to try and help you remove Playbar.biz. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
Have you ever experienced a whole stream of annoying ads that might have stopped you from using your browser properly? Has your browser ever redirected you to a page without you asking for that? Has it ever happened that your browser homepage has been substituted with another one without you knowing about that? If all these symptoms apply to your recent experiences, you have probably been infected with Playbar.biz. In the following article we are going to describe the characteristic features of this program. Also, we are going to discuss any possible negative consequences connected with it as well as prevention methods and removal tips. Hopefully, we will be helpful enough as to assist you in uninstalling and avoiding this type of software in the future.
What you might know or might not know about Playbar.biz
Probably you have already done a little research on your recent problem. This program is in fact a browser hijacker. As such, it has certain features: it may set your browser to display numerous ads, it might even set a completely different homepage to your default browser or it could even make your browser redirect you to different online locations. No type of a browser is really immune from such hijackers – they could integrate into Firefox, Explorer, Chrome, Opera and all other browsers.
Is Playbar.biz really able to “hijack” anything from your system?
Luckily, the answer to this question is no. It doesn’t steal or copy any files from your system, neither does it collect data such as banking or account credentials. It only makes changes that may appear slightly intrusive but nothing else. For instance, Playbar.biz doesn’t block files with encryption keys as the worst virus out there – Ransomware does, and it doesn’t ask for money to give you back your data. Its name is the scariest aspect of its essence.
How is it most likely to infect your machine?
When it comes to Playbar.biz’s distribution, there are countless opportunities. This hijacker might be lurking inside a torrent, it might be caught as a payload from an already infected website, it may also come as spam in your email, either in your spam folder or in your Inbox. We can still point out its most preferred place for lurking and this is in any program bundle*.
*Software bundling is a process through which mixtures of software are created. Then these program combos get spread for free. They might contain Adware, browser hijackers and any other type of software – sometimes originally developed by the programmers who distribute the bundle. If you are wondering why programmers decide to put Adware and hijackers in their combos, the answer is that they get a lot of money from the ads that are later generated. Every single pop-up or banner is a basis of profit. This is completely legal, as it is a very popular marketing strategy called pay per click.
In case you have downloaded and installed any program bundle by selecting the Default installation method, you are very likely to have been infected with Playbar.biz exactly in this way. Remember that you may still download and install programs from such bundles, if you learn how to do that properly and safely. The only way to complete an installation and to stay away from ad-generating software is to choose the advanced settings of the installer. This choice will actually save you from threats more dangerous than browser hijackers like Ransomware, Trojans, etc.
Is Playbar.biz a program that could be removed safely from your PC?
Normally, Playbar.biz might be removed quickly and easily if you know exactly how to do that. We have made this task a bit simpler for you by creating an efficient uninstallation guide. All the instructions there have been tested and we hope they will work for you, too. Always remember that we do not know what came with Playbar.biz to your PC, so do not expect a simple uninstallation. Sometimes you may need a special anti-malware tool for that purpose or an expert might be needed for help.
Is it possible to keep your computer away from future contaminations with browser hijackers?
Basically, yes. You can learn how to avoid such irritating programs such as Adware and browser hijackers if you develop the right browsing habits. Such a healthy attitude to surfing the web will keep you safe even from viruses. Remember, the key components of any healthy PC are the following: an efficient anti-virus program; a working and updated Firewall; smart choices when it comes to software sources, shareware and torrent-distributing websites.
How to Remove Playbar.biz
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Playbar.biz or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Playbar.biz From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Playbar.biz and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Playbar.biz From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Playbar.biz From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.