In this article we are going to try and help you remove 9o0gle.com. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
This page has been especially created to help you deal with one of the most annoying programs that have ever been created – 9o0gle.com. Probably you are already aware that it is the reason for the odd behavior of your browser recently – the change in the homepage, the constant redirection to other pages and the ads that might be getting unbearable. It has been our pleasure to combine an informative part with a removal guide in this article so you can get prepared both theoretically and practically to remove this program from your PC.
What is 9o0gle.com? How does it function?
If we talk about a software type, this particular program has been classified as a browser hijacker. However, don’t worry! Its name is actually scarier than its nature. 9o0gle.com surely doesn’t represent a malicious program. What such ad-generating software does is getting installed on your browser and making it perform some unusual activities. If it has been incorporated into your browser, this might result into removing your homepage and putting another one in its place. What’s more, your browser might start redirecting you to various locations on the Internet when you open it. The most irritating part of the effect of this browser hijacker is that it might begin to produce a very big number of online advertisements. Some of them might be pop-ups, some of them might be banners, others may appear as pop-unders. Others could be entire new browser tabs. At first, you may feel that you will be able to deal with them or put up with them. However, the intensity with which they could start appearing might begin to annoy you. If 9o0gle.com were actually malware, it would be really dangerous. It would steal data or encrypt files. It would even blackmail you or crash your system. But it is not. It could only play with your nerves with all the redirects and the ads it causes.
How do browser hijackers infect a PC?
The infections with browser hijackers become more and more every year. Those programs are very wide-spread partly because of the methods they use to get distributed, and partly because of the naiveté of the users worldwide. To elaborate on this statement, we are going to explain some particular features of 9o0gle.com. The first thing you should know is that such software may get spread in dozens of different ways: as a payload of webpages, as a part of a torrent, as an attachment of a suspicious email. Nevertheless, there is one way in which it is most likely to travel – within software bundles. The reason why 9o0gle.com is a part of such software combos is that the developers who put it inside them get paid to do that. This is a legitimate procedure: you can use ad-producing software as a marketing tool. The ads 9o0gle.com then generates are very important to the vendors who advertise their products with them, and every programmer, who uses such software is paid on the basis of each single ad. This practice is called PPC and is very famous in the cyber world. Nonetheless, there is one thing that you should bear in mind – such bundles are unable to self-integrate into your PC. Even when they are already downloaded, they still need your informed or uninformed permission to integrate into your system. Many users give them their consent unknowingly by installing such bundles in the quickest or the easiest way – using the Default feature of the wizard. If you want to stay away from 9o0gle.com, try to remember that there is only one sensible option for you and this is the Advanced feature of any installer.
Removal and further prevention
We have come up with an option for you if you want to get rid of 9o0gle.com. Here we present our removal guide that is completely functional and if implemented carefully and in the right way is supposed to solve your recent issue. When we talk about future prevention, there is some basic advice that is worth remembering. Your key to a healthy PC is the so-called smart surfing. It means carefully choosing where you go on the web, what you download from there, and which of the downloaded programs are worth being installed on your computer. Smart installation habits are also very important as they will keep you away from any Adware-caused issues or even more serious ones, like an infection with Ransomware or other type of virus. Having a good-quality anti-virus program is also a must. You may find it helpful to install a nice pop-up blocker and to enable all the features of your Firewall. All those tips combined should help you stay safe not only from browser hijackers, but also from viruses.
Remove 9o0gle.com from Chrome/Firefox
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find 9o0gle.com or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove 9o0gle.com From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by 9o0gle.com and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove 9o0gle.com From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove 9o0gle.com From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.