In this article we are going to try and help you remove Ps4ux. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
Maybe our article is interesting to you because you want to learn more about the programs that are called browser hijackers. We are glad that we can give you some more detailed information about them. The other possible reason for you to be reading the following text, though, may be the fact that your computer has been infected with Ps4ux, one of the so-called hijackers, and you desperately want to get rid of it. Whatever your reasons are, just go on reading and you will have all your questions answered. Plus we have created an uninstallation guide at the end of the page, which is very useful when it comes to the removal of this program.
Effects and behavior of Ps4ux “Virus”
All the typical browser hijackers, Ps4ux included, behave in a similar way. Some of their effects on your system include a change in your usual homepage; showing various product and service’s ads as well as sudden redirections to different webpages when you try to load a desired website. Such a hijacker could be caught in a variety of ways. For instance, it might be lurking inside a webpage and by opening it, you may get infected. Another possible way of getting Ps4ux is by downloading and using torrents. The most usual method of spreading browser hijackers, though, are program bundles. Such combinations of different software are distributed for free. Usually, programmers create them to distribute their own programs along with such ad-generating software in order to popularize their own creations and to still get paid for the ads that are displayed. Such advertisements are completely legal and create additional profit for the developers of the software bundle.
Still, there is no way for Ps4ux to get self-incorporated into your machine. It is NOT a virus. We feel we need to emphasize on this since there is a very widespread opinion that Ps4ux is a “Virus”. Again, it is not a computer virus. You need to allow it to affect your browser before it starts doing that. And many users do exactly that. They unknowingly let the program generate ads and change their browser settings by installing the bundles they download in the worst possible way – by using the basic features of the installer or the default ones. Instead, if you want your PC free of any disturbing software like Ps4ux and Adware, you should choose the other feature: the ones that provide advanced settings and inform you about every single program that is being installed. If you get the right installation habits, your system will be completely safe from any bundle-distributed hijackers or even malware.
Now, we are going to actually explain the difference between browser hijackers and malicious programs. You already know that Ps4ux is not a virus, however, what differentiates it from malware is that it cannot encrypt, steal or destroy any data from your computer. What’s more, it cannot serve as a backdoor for other types of malware like Ransomware. It could only renew the advertisement campaigns based on the results of the research it does on your browsing history. In this way on your display there will be only pop-ups and banners relevant to your tastes. Typical malware also spies on you through your webcam or keeps copies of your keystrokes. Ps4ux cannot perform such evil actions. It may only cause the redirection to rather suspicious pages, but nothing more serious than that might come from it.
Removing this annoying program
When we talk about the removal process of Ps4ux, we have made it easier for you by creating a special removal guide to help you deal with the infection. It’s important to implement every single removal instruction very carefully. Break a leg!
Prevention matters the most
Browser hijackers are relatively harmless, but they still represent some of the most irritating ad-producing software that exists. Maybe you will want to avoid them once that you know them. The most efficient prevention step concerns the installation process of any newly-downloaded software and we have explained it above. What else you can do is to avoid any possible sources of Ps4ux and the programs similar to it such as any suspicious letters in your Inbox or Spam folder, as well as all the places on the web that do not seem particularly trustworthy to you. Downloading and using the best possible anti-virus program is also essential to your online health and good system performance.
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Ps4ux or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Ps4ux From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Ps4ux and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Ps4ux From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Ps4ux From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.