Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce Virus Ransomware Removal (+File Recovery)
In this article we are going to try and help you remove Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce Virus Ransomware. Our instructions cover all Windows versions.
In the following article we are going to discuss what the term Ransomware really means. What’s more, we are going to give you some more information about one particular version of this malware – Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce Virus. What we can say in short is that this kind of viruses is used for encrypting data and preventing you from accessing it, no matter whether you pay the required ransom or not. Such an infection is really among the most horrible ones you may ever experience. Basically, what could be concluded about all Ransomware-based programs is that they are able to block something on your system and make it inaccessible to you. After the encryption process is completed, you get notified about the contamination via a ransom-demanding notification. Below we are going to discuss which components of your system could become victims of Ransomware, which subtype of this malware Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce Virus really belongs to and what the most popular sources of such programs are. Also, we have included some prevention tips and probable solutions to your Ransomware-oriented issues.
How many subtypes is this software divided into?
This malicious software comprises several subgroups, which may have different functions. However, all of them are incredibly hazardous and should be dealt with as soon as possible.
- File-locking Ransomware – this category consists of all the viruses, which are programmed to infect your computer and access all your disks and drives. After that, the programs from this group tend to create a list with all the files that will be encoded. Soon after that the actual encryption begins and all of the predetermined files get encrypted one after the other. The next stage of this process is the appearance of the ransom-requiring notification, which actually informs you about this terrible process.
- Desktop–blocking viruses – this group comprises of all the Ransomware viruses that are used for making the desktops of your computers and laptops inaccessible to you. In fact, in such a case your data is not put in danger, as it is not affected by any encryption. Nonetheless, you will probably be unable to access it again if you are unable to access the shortcuts and icons on your desktop. Again, you will be notified about the contamination and about the fact that you are supposed to pay ransom for the unblocking of your screen.
- Mobile–oriented Ransomware – these malicious programs function in a way similar to that of the desktop-locking Ransomware. Once more, they are exploited for blocking your screen; however, this time this is the screen of your mobile device (phablet/ phone/ tablet). As you might expect, you will be unable to reach anything beyond the large ransom-demanding message that will block your device’s screen, and the hackers will demand ransom from you.
The discussed malware – Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce, could be identified as typical file-encrypting Ransomware from the first of the aforementioned groups. As you have already read, these viruses are able to reach your disks and drives, determine which files you usually use and lock all of them up with the help of the sophisticated encryption key. Honestly, this is the most horrible Ransomware you may ever have to face, and it is also among the most difficult viruses to fight.
Possible sources of Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce
While there is really little that you can do after the contamination process is over, you can ensure that you won’t catch the virus by avoiding its primary sources. To be completely precise, anything on the web can be contaminated with such malware. However, these are the sources, which are more commonly used by hackers to spread Ransomware:
- Emails and their attachments: Any email that you receive could be carrying Ransomware. We recommend that you should not open any of them if you haven’t expected them or if they come from unfamiliar senders. Also, do not forget to ignore all strange email attachments such as .exe files, documents and images.
- Fake advertisements: The so-called Malvertising is the spreading of pop-ups and other ads, which could lead to potentially infected web pages. That’s why you should avoid clicking on any ad that you see on the Internet.
- Torrents and illegal web pages: Towards the usual sources we can also count the software, movie and torrent-spreading web pages, which are illegal. Make sure that you use and download software, videos, music, etc. only from authorized places.
Are there any solutions when it comes to the Ransomware-infection issues?
First and foremost, please, never pay the required ransom immediately after you see the devastating notification. We suggest that you try some more tools and guides to get rid of this contamination. We have attached our Removal Guide to help you with that task.
Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce Virus Ransomware Removal
Enter Windows Safe mode.
- Win 7 Users: Restart your PC –> keep on clicking F8 –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Win 8 Users: Start Button –> Control Panel –> System and Security –> Administrative Tools –> System Configuration –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Boot –>
- Win 10 users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> Startup Settings –> Restart –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
Open Task Manager and locate any processes associated with Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys simultaneously –> Processes Tab –> Select a suspicious process (use Google or ask us in the comments if you are not sure about a process) –> Right Click and Open File Location –> End the suspicious process in Task Manager –> Delete the Folders containing the suspicious files.
Open the Registry Editor and search for Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce.
- Win 7 Users: Click Start and type regedit –> Enter –> Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Cryp1 Virus in the search field.
- Win 8/10 users: Start Button –> Choose Run –> type regedit –> Enter Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Merry_I_Love_You_Bruce in the search field.
Try to recover your files. First you will need System Restore.
- Win 7 Users: Start button –> Type Windows System Restore –> Enter –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and revert to it.
- Win 8 Users: Hold down the Windows key + Q –> Type Recovery –> Settings –> Choose the Recovery icon –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point.
- Win 10 Users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and apply it.
Secondly use program that can access your Shadow Copies.
- Use Google to find the official website of such a program and download it.
- Use the program to select the file types and the hard drive locations you want the program to scan for.
- Start the scan and keep in mind that it might take a while.
- Once the scan has been completed just select the files you want to be recovered.
If you have questions or suggestions feel free to use our comments section!