In this article we are going to try and help you remove “Merry I Love You Bruce” Virus File. Our instructions cover all Windows versions.
The threat that you are about to deal with is a Ransomware cryptovirus that has recently been dubbed one of the nastiest file-encryption threats. Its name is “Merry I Love You Bruce” Virus and on this page, we are going to show you how you can remove it from your system, without paying a huge amount of money. There is a removal guide below, which is available for free, and in its description, you can learn all the details about “Merry I Love You Bruce” Virus, the way it operates, the manipulations that the hackers use to get their ransom paid, and the possible options you have to recover from the infection. If you are looking for help on how to restore your encrypted files, we may be able to give you a hand with that as well. Below, there are some instructions that may help you get some of your files back, and even though we cannot promise you that you will recover your data completely, it will cost you nothing if you try.
Ransomware – what is so dangerous about it?
You have probably heard that Ransomware is a really, really malicious type of software and even though we don’t want to scare you, we have to say that this is true. Basically, what makes this threat so dangerous is its malicious encryption. The way that a Ransomware threat operates, is quite different than the other known types of malware. Unlike viruses and Trojans, a threat like “Merry I Love You Bruce” won’t corrupt your system or files, but it would encrypt them. What this means is that once you get infected, all of your valuable data that you store on your hard drive or other connected devices, will get locked with a very strong algorithm of symbols and you won’t be able to access it with any program. It won’t be destroyed, but being inaccessible will make it pretty much useless, since you won’t be able to open any of your files no matter what you try. This encryption is done by “Merry I Love You Bruce” with one main goal – blackmail. The hackers, who usually stand behind the Ransomware, have a secret decryption key that can unlock your files and they will gladly offer it to you, once the encryption of all your files is completed. However, to get it, you will need to pay a huge amount of money in ransom. This is a criminal scheme for quick money making, and unfortunately, the more people agree to pay for a decryption key, the more popular and widespread this type of malware becomes.
How can one become infected with “Merry I Love You Bruce”?
Usually, the infection with “Merry I Love You Bruce” comes like a bolt from the blue to users. This is also one of the reasons why Ransomware is so dreadful – it infects you without any visible symptoms and once you realize what is happening, it is usually too late to take any actions. Such threats are distributed via spam emails, malicious attachments, malvertisements or compromised websites, but they may also get delivered to the victim’s machine via Trojan horse infection. This means, that your machine might be heavily compromised not only by “Merry I Love You Bruce”, but also by a nasty Trojan that may do various other harmful things to your computer and privacy. That’s why removing the infection is highly recommended, and the sooner you do so, the better.
The “Merry I Love You Bruce” ransom note and the hackers’ manipulations…
Once the damage to your files is done, you can see a ransom note on your screen. It usually is used to reveal the malware and prompt you to paying the ransom. The hackers may use various manipulations and threats to make their victims pay as soon as possible, so don’t get surprised if you are threatened that your files will be deleted if you don’t pay before the given deadline. This is part of the blackmail practice. Not to mention that even if you pay the ransom, you may still not get your files decrypted, but you will surely lose your money. That’s why, instead of getting panicked, it is best if you take your time and look for some other solutions that may be available online. Making the crooks richer isn’t the only option to deal with “Merry I Love You Bruce”. What we suggest is that you follow the instructions in the removal guide below. We did our best to describe them as detailed as possible and you can use them for free to try to remove the nasty Ransomware from your machine.
“Merry I Love You Bruce” Virus File Removal
Click here to download
Enter Windows Safe mode.
- Win 7 Users: Restart your PC –> keep on clicking F8 –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Win 8 Users: Start Button –> Control Panel –> System and Security –> Administrative Tools –> System Configuration –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Boot –>
- Win 10 users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> Startup Settings –> Restart –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
Open Task Manager and locate any processes associated with “Merry I Love You Bruce”.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys simultaneously –> Processes Tab –> Select a suspicious process (use Google or ask us in the comments if you are not sure about a process) –> Right Click and Open File Location –> End the suspicious process in Task Manager –> Delete the Folders containing the suspicious files.
Open the Registry Editor and search for “Merry I Love You Bruce”.
- Win 7 Users: Click Start and type regedit –> Enter –> Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Cryp1 Virus in the search field.
- Win 8/10 users: Start Button –> Choose Run –> type regedit –> Enter Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type “Merry I Love You Bruce” in the search field.
Try to recover your files. First you will need System Restore.
- Win 7 Users: Start button –> Type Windows System Restore –> Enter –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and revert to it.
- Win 8 Users: Hold down the Windows key + Q –> Type Recovery –> Settings –> Choose the Recovery icon –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point.
- Win 10 Users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and apply it.
Secondly use program that can access your Shadow Copies.
- Use Google to find the official website of such a program and download it.
- Use the program to select the file types and the hard drive locations you want the program to scan for.
- Start the scan and keep in mind that it might take a while.
- Once the scan has been completed just select the files you want to be recovered.
If you have questions or suggestions feel free to use our comments section!