This page contains a guide aimed at providing instructions for converting MKV to AVI files for free. The guide works for all Windows versions.
Matroska Multimedia Container or better known as MKV is a universal format designed to store common multimedia files. What’s great about it is that it can hold an unlimited number of various files and the format is open standard. MKV is a uniquely flexible, royalty-free format, the specifications of which are open to the public and are available for both commercial and private use alike. Over the years it’s become an ever more popular format for movies, TV shows and such to be distributed and its use will probably only continue to grow and expand as time passes by.
However, at this point, there may be several reasons why users might not want their videos or movies to be in MKV format. Why? For one, not all multimedia players (e.g. DVD players, portable device players) are capable of reading this format. Say you downloaded your favorite series in Matroska format and decided to a burn a DVD, because that’s simply how you would prefer to watch your series – on your big flat-screen TV and then possibly have the DVD available for later use, instead of having to download it again or clutter your USB stick with large files. Anyway, you get to the point where your DVD player doesn’t recognize the format and can therefore not play the video files. Kind of frustrating, right? So, here we’ve come up with a simple fix for this issue that will get the problem solved in just a matter of minutes.
How to Convert MKV to AVI
To begin with, you will need to download one of the two free programs, to which we have provided links here. After downloading and installing your program of choice, please continue with the instructions provided below for the relevant program.
Click here to download WinFF
Click here to download DivX Plus
- Open the client and click Add to select the file you wish to convert. After selecting it, click OK.
- Under Output details -> Convert to, choose AVI from the drop down menu.
- Under Output folder click the “…” button to choose the destination where your converted file will be saved.
- Click the Convert button at the top of the window.
- Your file will now have been converted, check to confirm this by playing it in your player of choice.
For DivX Plus:
- After you’ve successfully installed the program, open it. Click the Add files button.
- From the resulting window select the .mkv file you wish to convert and hit Enter.
- At the top of the converter window, right beside the Add files button, select a desired output profile from the dropdown menu.
- Click the Start button and wait for the process to complete.
Were the above fixes helpful? Let us know in the comment section below, your feedback is always appreciated!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.