In this article we are going to try and help you remove Guntony. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
How to recognize Guntony?
Guntony is a type of Adware that automatically opens up unwanted advertisements. We are sure you have encountered such software! Remember this pop-up the other day when you simply clicked to download that free program? Or the banners that keep blinking at the sidebar of the website you are browsing? Other common variants of Guntony like Sponsored by Guntony may lead to page redirects when you least want it, replacement of your original search or some peculiar toolbars that just seem to appear out of the blue. This article will introduce Guntony and will explain its origins, as well as ways to prevent its integration in your Chrome or Firefox browser. We also have tips for you on how to remove Guntony. Please read along to get a better understanding and benefit from some useful information that will lessen your daily annoyance when browsing. Similarly to getting a cold, getting your computer infected is better to be prevented in advance than dealt with afterwards.
What is Guntony “Virus”?
Many people refer to Guntony as a computer virus. However this is not entirely correct. Guntony “virus” is actually an adware. Such Adware products are not harmful and cannot be categorized as viruses. However, they breach the confines of the satisfactory browsing experience and may become somewhat aggressive. It all starts with a rather good promise for some kind of incentive, for instance, a free software download. Instead of charging you for this software acquisition, the developers make money otherwise. Display advertising from third parties is the main revenue stream, where the pay-per-click scheme steps in. Bear in mind that some of these adverts might be very crafty in enticing you to interact with them. If you are too curious you might end up obliviously downloading extra adware applications that could affect your future browsing experience. In the best case scenario, you may get exposed to a variety of products and services that might not be of interest to you and may eventually contribute to slow down and interrupt your online experience. In the worst case scenario, some of the adverts may turn out to be malicious. You have certainly come across a malicious website that has kindly informed you that you are about to become a super lucky millionaire if you click here, or there! Another misleading action that should signalize immediately for the malicious nature of an advert is the abrupt proposition for Flash update installation or other program installations. What is particularly unpleasant about Guntony is that it may get there without your knowledge, let alone intention. The reason for this is the simple fact that Adware is not identified as a virus. On the contrary, most of the Adware programs are considered to be legitimate. Consequently, they are difficult to get rid of, as their protection mechanisms make them almost invisible to security programs. This also allows them to be a “hidden” addition to other software programs.
What are the ways to avoid Guntony?
The first and most important rule is to be extremely selective about what you download. Do restrain from downloading programs just for the sake of downloading something for free. It is advisable to do a small background check of the software maker in question and make yourself acquainted with reviews left, if any! Another essential thing is your approach to clickable advertisements, especially the flash, clickable adverts. Beware that the moment you click on them, your actions may be monitored, recorded and turn out to be of a monetary value to the adware creators. To avoid the accidental, “hidden” integration of Guntony, always check the advanced/custom settings and read all terms and menus before proceeding to gullible installation. When you choose the custom installation you will have the opportunity to deselect all irrelevant and potentially harmful software. Without a shadow of a doubt, it is better to postpone the installation, get informed and ensure yourself an enjoyable online experience than get in the annoying zone of repeatedly opening ads.
After you have read this article, you can proceed to removing Guntony. Although the web offers an abundance of adaptations of Guntony, we have worked on making sure this removal guide covers the exact version you are in need to remove. Some of the paragraphs might not regard your private case – just proceed to the rest of the guidelines. Please feel welcome to get in touch with questions, suggestions or with some feedback. After all, our aim here is to build a two-way communication!
Guntony “Virus” Removal (Chrome)
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Guntony or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Guntony From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Guntony and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Guntony From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Guntony From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.