In this article we are going to try and help you remove aMULEcustom. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
You are probably one of the millions of users to come across an ad-generating program and experience its rather irritating effects. The Adware discussed in the article below is called aMULEcustom and might be the reason for your recent ad-related technical problems. Briefly speaking, this is a program that could affect all the browsers you have installed – Chrome, Firefox and others, and might set them to display too many and too diverse online ads like pop-up windows, new browser tabs, colorful banners and boxes, varying in their shapes and sizes.
What is Adware?
First of all, let us define Adware. All the programs from this group of software have the ability to display a lot of different advertisements either inside a browser window or inside a program window. These advertisements are legitimate, as they simply serve the needs of the marketing industry and provide online advertising of goods and services. They are the result of the joint actions of both developers and manufacturers, who work together to achieve the active popularization of certain products and services. This strategy has a name – pay-per-click. The more ads the programmers set Adware versions like aMULEcustom to produce, the more efficient these versions are considered and the bigger the profit for their developers. For the purpose of distributing such ad-generating programs, developers often use bundles. A bundle is an aggregation of diverse software: games, apps, browser hijackers, Adware-based programs. When a user decides to download such a bundle, they are not infecting their systems with aMULEcustom automatically. All the bundles and the programs inside them need to be voluntarily installed on your PC in order for them to begin functioning. The installation process, though, could be a little confusing and disregarded by many people. In fact, the way you install any bundle, app or a game greatly influences the condition of your PC in terms of possible infections and issues.
Here is how we recommend that you do install new software:
- When the installer window opens, carefully read all the available options and what they mean. If necessary, also click on the HELP button and read the extra information there.
- Of all the existing options, try to find the ones that will give you more freedom to manually change the number of the installed programs/ program features. Such options usually give you the opportunity to reject any possible changes that could be made to your PC as a whole and to your browsers in particular by excluding the program that causes them from the list of the installed-to-be ones. From our experience, the options you should always consider choosing are: the Custom installation feature and the Advanced installation feature. They are the safest ones and will prevent you from catching far more dangerous programs than aMULEcustom like Ransomware viruses and Trojans.
- Please avoid the other shortcut-features of the installer. They might have many names: Quick, Typical, Default, Easy. They provide an automatic installation of a program or a bundle along with all of their features and possibly unwanted effects, like broadcasting ads.
Is there anything malicious about aMULEcustom “Virus”?
aMULEcustom is a version of Adware, not malware. This program will NEVER harm your machine. The programs considered as malware like Ransomware and Trojan viruses DO harm your PC – they encode data, blackmail you for money, steal credentials, drain bank accounts, spy on you in many ways – via your key strokes, web camera and online activities. aMULEcustom is not a virus per se and could never perform anything like that. What it might cause is simply the appearance of numerous ads and at its very worst, perhaps a certain slowdown to your machine, due to the sometimes large resource consumption.
Is this program removable?
Fortunately, all Adware versions are removable. Anyone could do that by following the detailed instructions below – we have prepared a full Removal Guide that is at your disposal.
The prevention practices that work
Adware might not be malicious, but it could certainly be very disturbing. Rather than dealing with an existing infection, all users should consider timely prevention measures. Some of them include investing in a powerful anti-malware tool that could also deal with ad-producing programs; staying away from free and suspicious sources of software bundles and regularly scanning your PC for all kinds of threats. Good luck and feel free to share your opinion about this article!
aMULEcustom “Virus” Removal
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Click here to download
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find aMULEcustom or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove aMULEcustom From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by aMULEcustom and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove aMULEcustom From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove aMULEcustom From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.