In this article we are going to try and help you remove Аmules “Virus”. Our instructions cover all Windows versions as well as most browsers – Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer etc.
Does the popping up of lots of ads while you are surfing the Internet sound familiar to you? Does that occur whatever browser app you are using, for instance, the Chrome or the Firefox ones? Perhaps you have no idea what is going on with your PC. Fortunately, we have the answers to all these questions. The program that might have been irritating you lately is named Аmules and belongs to the Adware family. More details about this sort of programs as a whole and Аmules particularly have been provided in the following paragraphs.
Which programs may be classified as Adware-like?
Nearly all programs which are able to display a very big number of diverse advertisements are representatives of this software category. Actually, their main purpose is merely that one – to broadcast pop-ups, banners and tabs and advertise different products and services.
Will a program from the hijacker family damage your PC?
The positive news is that this often annoying kind of software is completely unable to put your system in any danger. More precisely, no kind of Adware has virus-type characteristics. All that most of the Adware-based products could be capable of performing is to affect all your browser apps – Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. They might be able to research your surfing activities and match the generation of ads to your current interests and searches. Some professionals in the field and users have found such a feature as irritating enough to see Adware as potentially unwanted software. Nonetheless, it is normally harmless and ultimately – legal.
What is the difference between an Adware program and a malware version?
In this paragraph we are going to explain the difference between the programs based on Adware and the ones that fall into the malware category. Let’s take Аmules and a Trojan, as well as a version of Ransomware as examples.
In case of an infection with Аmules, you might experience a great number of ads, which are based on your interests and your computer could even get slower because of that mass generation of online advertisements. However, this cannot result in any violation of your privacy, or account credentials theft, espionage, or blackmails.
In case of an infection with either a version of Ransomware or a type of a Trojan, you will most certainly experience hacking of your PC, complete scanning of your drives, encryption or destruction of your files, ransom blackmailing notifications, account details theft or even spying on your keystrokes, all activities on the PC.
So this program is completely legal, right?
The answer is yes as Аmules is a legal marketing tool designed to advertise certain goods and services online by exposing the victim users to as many ads as it is able to broadcast. Web developers and producers work together in order to ensure efficient promotion. The developers typically get sufficient payments based on the number of the opened pop-ups or clicked-on ads. The manufacturers gain great profits from all the people who purchase their products. As you can see, this is a completely normal industry as any other.
Then, how has the infection with Аmules occurred in the first place?
Another aspect of the nature of Аmules and Adware as a whole that might raise some suspicions and concerns among the users and further contribute to this software’s notorious image is the methods there programs use to get around. Usually distribution could happen in a rather shady way.
First of all, let’s point out the possible sources of Adware – program bundles. Such mixtures of applications, programs and games might be downloaded from anywhere on the web for free. This could appear unclear because you may just be interested in trying a single program from that combo, but you may install all of them if you are not aware of the way to safely install software. This is the essential part of the Adware prevention – to install software in a wise way. Such a safe installation process could only be achieved in case of choosing the Customized feature.
All Quick, Default or Automatic options are actually bad for your system’s safety and health so that you should strive to avoid using them. Only the Customized manner of installing software will give you the chance to exclude all unnecessary programs from the desired bundle, including the potential Adware products inside it.
For the purpose of safely removing Аmules, we have provided a Guide with detailed instructions below. Hopefully, it will get the problem fixed for you.
Аmules “Virus” Removal
Many types of malware will restrict your access to their core files. It is highly recommended that you reboot your PC in safe mode before attempting to use this guide.
- To enable Safe Mode reboot you PC, then hit F8 repeatedly. When the corresponding menu opens please select Safe Mode with Networking.
WARNING! If you are using Windows 8,0 or later and/or your operating system is installed on a fast SSD drive this may fail to work. In this case click here to see how to start your PC in Safe Mode.
#1: Uninstall the malicious program from your control panel
Enter control panel to look for any suspicious programs, which may have installed on your PC. To do that:
- Navigate to your Desktop
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type appwiz.cpl
- Go through the list of programs and find Аmules or anything else that may seem suspicious. Right-click on it and choose the uninstallation option
WARNING! Carefully read any confirmation messages that may be created in the process. Sometimes you may get offers to download more Adware applications and this can be linked to either the Yes or the No answer depending on the wording!
Go through the list of programs again and check online for any potentially unwanted programs. We have an article that covers this awesome free software that makes sure that your computer is free from bloatware and programs that you don’t need.
#2: Remove Аmules From Chrome
Now we’ll remove the extensions that the malware has attached to your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on “Developer Mode” on the top right and look for the extension installed by Аmules and anything that might be related to it. Copy their IDs (the string of letters), then remove them by clicking on the trash bin icon.
- Type Regedit in the Windows Start Menu and press Enter. Go in : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions and delete the entries corresponding to the suspicious IDs you recorded.
#3: Remove Аmules From Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type “about:support” in the URL address bar and press Enter.
- Click on the “Refresh Firefox” button on the right and confirm.
#4 Remove Аmules From Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer internet browser.
- Click on the Gear icon on the up right, then on manage add-ons.
- Go through the list disable any suspicious extensions.
#5 Remove any leftover parasitic processes
From the task manager:
- Use Ctrl + Shift + Esc and open the Task manager, then click on the Processes
- Go through the list of processes and look for unknown or otherwise suspicious entries.
- If you see anything suspicious right click on the process and shoes Open File Location, then terminate the process and delete any files you find in the directory.
WARNING! If the directory you open from this menu has no files inside of it it’s probably because the malware has hidden them. You need to reveal hidden files and folders in order to be able to see them. Click here if you don’t know how to do that.
From the start menu:
- Press simultaneously the Win button together with the R button (Win+R)
- In the Run window that just opened type msconfig
- Click on the Startup tab.
This menu controls which programs are loaded when windows starts after a reboot. Disable anything that seems suspicious. Optionally you can also disable any program that you don’t need and also has a high impact on your startup time.
Feel free to write to us in the comment section with any questions that you may have. Also if we have been helpful to you please share this article to help us reach more people like you.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.