In this article we are going to try and help you remove Crypto888 Ransomware. Our instructions cover all Windows versions.
Crypto888 is coming for your files! Take precautions before it’s too late!
Crypto888 is spreading throughout the internet like wildfire and with every passing day more and more computers are getting infected by this malicious virus. Crypto888 is one of the many ransomware viruses. The Ransomware type is currently one of the biggest cyber-threats worldwide. No one is safe from such viruses – hackers use them to attack both the computers of regular users and the networks of big companies. One of the main problems with this type of viruses is that hackers who develop them are almost always a step ahead of the IT community. Many specialists are working round the clock to find a way to counteract the newest of Ransomware viruses (like Crypto888 for example). However, such malicious programs are getting newer and more advanced versions on a daily basis, thus it is often difficult for the security software developers to keep up. In this article, we will give you some essential information and advice concerning Ransomware, including a guide on how to remove it from your system. Just remember, that it is always much better to prevent one from getting onto your PC compared to having to deal with its consequences afterwards.
Ransomware infection is usually difficult to notice until it is way too late and the virus actually notifies you about its presence. The moment Crypto888 gets inside your computer’s system, it starts copying your files. The copies are identical to the originals except for one major difference. All copies are encrypted by the ransomware. If a file is encrypted, it is rendered inaccessible if you do not have a specific code that is used by your PC to read through the encryption. Once your files have been copied, the originals get deleted by the virus. This leaves you only with the encrypted copies that you cannot access without the code. After the encrypting has finished, Crypto888 displays a message on your screen. The message tells you that you will need to pay ransom in bitcoins if you want to be sent the code for the encryption. Bitcoins are a type of cyber-currency known for being almost impossible to trace. This enables the hackers to remain fully anonymous while blackmailing people. The truth is that very few hackers who use Ransomware viruses to illegally gain money have been caught and brought to justice. Apart from the ransom demand, instructions on how to buy bitcoins and transfer them to the cyber-criminal are also provided in the message displayed by the virus.
After the message…
To be frank, there are not many valuable options that you may go for, after seeing the Ransomware message. If that’s your case, it means that it is too late for most effective methods to counteract the virus. However, there are still several possible courses of action that you can undertake. Even though Ransomware is indeed very nasty, you are still not absolutely helpless even if your files have already been encrypted. For example, there are a lot of free decryptor tools that can decipher the code for the encryption of some Ransomware viruses. Unfortunately, there aren’t such decryptors for all ransomware programs. Apart from using a decryptor, you can also try our ransomware removal guide below this article. While it may not work on all malicious programs of that kind, it could still potentially help you. Besides, in it there’s a link for our list of decryptors that we frequently update. Some of you might ask: “Why not pay the ransom?” – well, as tempting as it might seem, we advise against doing this. Remember, that you are dealing with a criminal – one that is anonymous and has no fear of being revealed and caught. Therefore, you can never be fully sure whether you’d actually receive the code that you need.
Some more tips…
Make sure that you remember the following tips, since they can really make a huge difference when it comes to handling the threat that is Crypto888.
- A back-up of your important files is mandatory! This can make the whole effect of a Ransomware infection much less problematic since the virus could never reach the files that you’ve backed up if you are being careful.
- Avoid shady sites and be careful with suspicious letters. As it is with most viruses, Ransomware gets distributed mainly via illegal sites and spam e-mails. Sometimes another virus might serve as a gateway into your computer for the Ransomware. Thus, having reliable and frequently updated security software is a must.
- High CPU and RAM usage along with less hard-disk space then you’re supposed to have are potential indicators of a Ransomware infection. If you notice any of that, shut down your PC and bring it to an IT specialist as soon as possible. Also, DO NOT plug any devices into your computer – the virus can infect them as well and encrypt their files.
Crypto888 Ransomware Virus Removal
Click here to download
Enter Windows Safe mode.
- Win 7 Users: Restart your PC –> keep on clicking F8 –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Win 8 Users: Start Button –> Control Panel –> System and Security –> Administrative Tools –> System Configuration –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Boot –>
- Win 10 users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> Startup Settings –> Restart –> In the subsequent Menu select Safe Mode with Networking.
Open Task Manager and locate any processes associated with Crypto888.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys simultaneously –> Processes Tab –> Select a suspicious process (use Google or ask us in the comments if you are not sure about a process) –> Right Click and Open File Location –> End the suspicious process in Task Manager –> Delete the Folders containing the suspicious files.
Open the Registry Editor and search for Crypto888.
- Win 7 Users: Click Start and type regedit –> Enter –> Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Cryp1 Virus in the search field.
- Win 8/10 users: Start Button –> Choose Run –> type regedit –> Enter Press CTRL + F buttons –> Type Crypto888 in the search field.
Try to recover your files. First you will need System Restore.
- Win 7 Users: Start button –> Type Windows System Restore –> Enter –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and revert to it.
- Win 8 Users: Hold down the Windows key + Q –> Type Recovery –> Settings –> Choose the Recovery icon –> Open System Restore –> Select a Restore Point.
- Win 10 Users: Start Menu –> Power Options Menu –> Hold down the SHIFT button while clicking on Restart –> Troubleshoot –> Advanced Options –> System Restore –> Select a Restore Point and apply it.
Secondly use program that can access your Shadow Copies.
- Use Google to find the official website of such a program and download it.
- Use the program to select the file types and the hard drive locations you want the program to scan for.
- Start the scan and keep in mind that it might take a while.
- Once the scan has been completed just select the files you want to be recovered.
If you have questions or suggestions feel free to use our comments section!